
I feel so blessed today as I am reflecting on Sadie's progress. She is doing so well! We recently got her this walker so she wouldn't fall down so often. She is doing much better at walking but her legs are still really tight. She can walk from holding place to holding place but if she falls she has to crawl to something like a wall or chair or me to get up again. She can't stand still or go from crawling to standing yet. This walker has been great. It has really helped her posture and helps her to be a little more independent(good and bad for me). She used to not get very far when she would try to run off but now she has wheels so watch out! It has a cool little seat she can sit on when she gets tired. It's also been great for practicing self help skills like getting dressed and putting on shoes. It's fun to see her at church with the other kids in her Sunday school class walk (or run) to the water fountain. She likes to sit in it during singing time so she can actually sing "head shoulders, knees and toes" without falling down. Now only if it had a seatbelt to strap her in:) The best part is that she loves to use it. The other day I took it out of the van and at the same time a little boy Sadie's age walked by with his mom and said "wow mom whats that? I want to ride one of those!!!" It was really quite funny. She will still have to get botox injected in her legs for a couple more years and then maybe surgery can help her.
Cognativly she is doing awesome. Micah and I say it's like we are getting to know a new child every six months. It's like mentally she was always there and listening we just couldn't break her out of her own little world. Now she argues with us and tells us what she wants for breakfast. The change is miraculous. She has so much language so quickly. Her mouth muscles still have a hard time forming some sounds but the conversation is there. She is so smart. I can't even convey how exciting it is to finally get to meet your nearly four year old child and have her interact with us and others. She calls for me and asks me to play tea party with her! Last year I could not even imagine that was possible. All the work and all the therapy has been so worth it! And it makes it easier to keep going and to do even more. We will never ever stop. Every day it gets easier and harder at the same time. As some things get better, new problems arise but we just keep adapting.
I will alway ask myself, "am I doing enough". I think all mothers ask themselves that no matter what. I'm not quite sure how to get away from that. I think there's a little calm space in my heart where I know Sadie is going to be just fine but the uncertainty in my head will always be there.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Sadie's hot wheels
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Nicki!!! It is so great to hear about Sadie's progress!! She is such a lucky girl to have such committed parents. You really are doing everything you can!! Hearing bout your committment, and everything you do to help your precious Sadie, really makes me admire and respect you, that much more! You are an amazing person! I miss you!!! I am hoping to make it out that way sometime within the next year!
Dude, sadie was a blast to play with in Utah. she cracks me up! Personality, yes she has lots.
Post a Comment