
Sadie had her assessment from the regional center on Monday. It was a very good experience. The nurse and therapist they sent were very pleasant and helpful. The therapist played with Sadie and did some simple tests while the nurse asked me questions about Sadie's behavior. In the end they both concluded that Sadie is extremely behind in receptive and expressive communication, gross motor(walking), and social and emotional skills. In Adaptive, Fine motor and cognitive she wasn't too behind in fact she was advanced in some things, so it was "scattered" as they say. The hardest part was them telling me that she had many red flags for autism. They assured me not to worry it wasn't a diagnosis but there is a lot of things she needs just incase. So they started today with therapy. The same therapist comes to my house twice a week to work with Sadie. Then we will be starting physical therapy soon once a week. Next month Sadie will be starting an autism program where someone will be coming to my home 9 hours a week, so everyday, to work on specific goals. I am just so grateful there is help like this out there! It is such a blessing, this whole program is at no cost. I just feel like sharing all this because if someone didn't share there experience with me I would not know what to do and may have wasted more precious time. I'm trying to stay very positive, but I do have to be prepared that it will take at least a couple years of this to catch her up and depending on her diagnosis it could be a life long process. Every time we look at Sadie we feel so blessed to have her sweet spirit in or family. Micah and I would do anything in the world for her and now we feel like we are actually doing something to help her be able to learn, grow and understand better and that feels like such a relief!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
The Assessment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
That is SO cool that the state has programs like that. What a blessing. Sadie will be fine because she has you. :)
~heather
That is definitely a blessing to be able to get all that help at NO cost and to be figuring things out. Good luck with it all! She is such a cutie pie!
Thank you for keeping us updated. Things will be fine,She has great parents!
It sounds like everything is under control now! It's so nice to just have someone tell you what's going on and how to make it better. I just read a book called Jesus Wept by the Ashtons. I can't remember their names. Anyway it's dealing with any kind of loss in your life. I really loved it. I'm not saying that it's a loss like she's not still Sadie, but it may be a loss of what you imagined for her. Anyway, I hope you get what I'm saying and I haven't offended you. I just really loved it with my infertility because my life does look different than I thought it would. I'm happy that you have support!
Good luck Nicki! I am glad that you are able to get so much assistance with her. She is such a sweet girl, and I'm sure it helps having some answers.
Post a Comment