Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I really dislike Doctors and I need more HOT water

The shower is my quiet time my only place to think. It's the place were no one bothers me. I can dream, cry , pray while practically burning hot water rushes over me. It's the 15 minutes a day I need to stay sane. Lately our hot water lasts about 4 minutes then goes to moderately warm and then on to cold. Hot water why have you forsaken me I need you! I know I sound ridiculous but instead of my meditation time I find myself wasting my shower wondering why the water isn't hot anymore.
The past week has been frustrating for me, (hence the reason why I need my lovely shower time). I went to my kid's pediatrician, Dr. Bakr, for little Micah's 2 month check up. I knew in my mind I was not going to give my baby any vaccines because of Sadie having possible Autism (they won't diagnose her till she is 3 ). I reminded the receptionist that I was going to hold off on the shots. I had both kids with me in the waiting room because I had to squeeze in the appointment in between Sadie's speech therapy and her physical therapy, in addition to her autism therapy we have every morning. Any how I was waiting to be called back when Dr. Bakr entered the waiting room and said " Mrs. Smith I don't see patients that won't take the vaccines" Now I have heard of doctors sometimes doing this but I didn't think it would happen to me. (Note to self if it can't happen to me: IT WILL!) I proceed to explain why I wasn't going to give the shots to my other child thinking he would understand. Nope, instead of understanding he replied with " Sadie has Autism?" My eyes were burning my jaw was clenched why was I still sitting there? He started to sense I was upset and proceeded to tell me vaccines don't cause autism, maybe he'll hold off on the MMR for a month, and he wasn't the one who gave Sadie her shots anyway. All I could muster up was " You have been her doctor her whole life" and then I left. I rolled my stroller out of the office with tears streaming down my face thinking, how can this doctor forget my daughter. I have been in his office a million times for referrals and blood test orders and really you can't remember my child! Yes he is the doctor that told me at 18 month I should not have any concerns about her not walking or talking or making eye contact. Shame on me for sticking with this guy! I just feel like a big idiot!
I understand (somewhat) why doctors don't want to see patients that won't take the vaccines. I am not going around saying that the vaccines gave my daughter autism. However I can't imagine the guilt I would feel if my son went through the same thing and I could have prevented it. In my mind and for MY situation it was too risky. I'm not terribly angry at the doctor for being really insensitive about the shots I'm livid because he could not remember my child and what she has to go through everyday.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Oh my gosh! I am SO sorry! That is unreal! I can't believe he said all this first of all but secondly that he could be so rude about it! I don't blame you I questioned it myself and I don't have to see it everyday. I remember you telling me about this doctor and he lack of concern. In my opinion I would find another doctor and maybe try and find someone who is very knowledgeable about vaccinations. I don't know what insurance you have but I love my doctor. He is in temecula though. Dr. Charles Fraley. He is young and seems to know a lot about the shots. However chances are if one of your children has autism the others will not. But he should respect your opinion. Good luck. And oh I hope you get the water heater working better again. I understand the importance of a good long shower!

Clint and Aimee Cook said...

Nicki!!! WOW!! I can't believe that crazy doctor...I agree with you, he should REMEMBER Sadie, no matter what her situation was. I hope you find a better doctor soon he is an idiot and should have been more sensitive to your situation!!! We are thinking about you guys..PS WAY to go SADIE!!! Good job on her steps and saying (brush her teeth) so cute!

King Family said...

I am so so sorry! I I don't blame you at all for feeling the way you do. You would think he would remember Sadie. How frustrating.

Vanessa said...

Nicki, I am so sorry!! That makes me so sad because no one should be treated like that. I would be fuming mad if my doctor didn't remember my child and was totally rude to me in the waiting room. Dr. Pillai is my doctor in murrieta and she is great. Nicki , I am here for you if you need anything!! Please feel free to call anytime! Hope your water gets fixed, that is frustrating!